Cupcake Frosting

11 Jan

I found this recipe quite a while ago, printed on the giant box of meringue powder that I get from CK Products. I filed it away, and while looking for a good cupcake frosting recently, I decided to dig it up and give it a whirl (hardy har har). The original recipe called for shortening instead of butter, but that sounded really gross to me, so I took a chance and tried it with butter.  Luckily, it was a winner! If you’ve ever tried making Italian Meringue Buttercream, this is kind of the same idea. I made Italian meringue a few times back in my cake decorating days, but I always worried about the safety of it (does the sugar syrup REALLY cook those eggs?), so back then I went with another option. This one appealed to me because it’s the same idea– sugar syrup, whipped egg whites, butter– but instead of fresh egg whites, you use meringue powder.  Here’s what you do:

Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. When it comes to a boil, pour in 3/4 cup granulated sugar.

Remove from heat and stir gently until all sugar crystals are gone.

You’ll know when it’s all dissolved because you won’t feel the sugar crystals scrape on the bottom of the pan while you’re stirring, and the liquid will be clear. Make sure there aren’t any sugar crystals on the side of the pan. Set it aside to cool. You can let it cool for 1/2 hour, or a whole day– doesn’t matter. Just as long as it’s cool to the touch.

Pour into a mixer bowl and add 1/4 cup meringue powder.

Using the whisk attachment, (or beaters of a hand mixer), beat at high speed for several minutes.  This is what it looks like at first:

As it goes, it will get thicker and thicker. You’ll see that the beaters will start to leave distinct “tracks” behind as it mixes.

When it’s done, it will form stiff peaks when you lift the beater(s) out of the bowl.

When you have it at a nice, fluffy, stiff peak, beat in 1 lb. powdered sugar (about 4 1/2 cups, but I recommend weighing if possible).

Mix slowly at first to keep the powdered sugar from flying all over the place, and then increase the speed. When the powdered sugar is all incorporated (it will look pretty stiff and dry), beat in 2 cups of butter. I just leave the mixer flying at high speed and throw in a stick at a time.

As it turns out, it’s pretty tricky to get a shot of that! Ha ha! If you look closely, you’ll see a cube of butter to the right of the beater that just landed. If you used unsalted butter, throw in a couple of pinches of salt at this point, too.

Beat until smooth and creamy and beautiful.

It’s pretty much done at this point, except you’ll notice that there is no flavoring yet. That’s where these come in:

Plus a few things I forgot to put in the picture, including maraschino cherries, crushed pineapple, and orange zest. I’ll get the hang of this yet…

So for this experiment, I divided up the one batch of frosting into several small containers and mixed in small amounts of flavorings to get different kinds of frosting. Unfortunately, because of that, I don’t have exact measurements to give you. I plan on eventually making full batches of each of these so that I can give you some exact measurements, but let me tell you right now: That’ll take a while. So if you want to try this yourself soon, I recommend experimenting like I did and come up with some good combos. Just start with small amounts of flavoring and add more if it needs it. It’s a lot easier to add more flavoring than to take some out! Here’s what I did for each:

For Raspberry/Vanilla, I flavored the cake batter (see my previous post about how to mix up the batter) with pure vanilla extract. For the frosting, I used LorAnn Raspberry flavoring and a teeny drop of Fuchsia food coloring. The little raspberry thing on top is just a raspberry candy. I really wanted a real raspberry, but they were about $5 for a half a cup, so maybe next summer!

For Chocolate Mint, I used plain chocolate cake batter for the cake, and for the frosting I added a couple of drops of LorAnn Peppermint Oil and a tiny drop of Mint Green food coloring. I topped it off with an Andes mint cut on the diagonal. They’re a little tricky to cut, but if you run your knife under super hot water first, it helps to get a clean cut. If that doesn’t work, microwave it for about 5 seconds and then cut.

Yummmmmmmm… the Pina Colada was sooo good. I flavored the cake batter with Coconut Emulsion. For the frosting, I took some canned crushed pineapple and squeezed every bit of juice I could out of it by putting it in a mesh strainer and pressing out the juice with a spoon. I stirred the dry(ish) pineapple into the frosting, along with a tiny bit of vanilla. After frosting the cupcake, I dipped the top into shredded coconut, and topped it off with a well-drained maraschino cherry. When I make these again (and I will!) I think I’ll try toasted coconut.

For Chocolate Raspberry Cream Cheese, I used a plain chocolate cupcake. For the frosting, I softened a little bit of cream cheese and mixed it into the frosting along with a spoonful of raspberry jam. I really wished I had some homemade raspberry freezer jam, but I didn’t, so I used store-bought. It was still very good! I didn’t add any coloring to this one. The jam made it a nice, natural pinkish color.

Cherry Almond. I flavored the cake batter with Almond Emulsion. For the frosting, I chopped up some maraschino cherries, and left them pretty juicy. I stirred those into the frosting, along with a tiny drop of almond extract.

Chocolate/Chocolate. This one was just ok. I need to experiment some more. I just made plain chocolate cakes and stirred some cocoa powder (Dutch process) into the frosting. I wonder if some melted chocolate stirred in might be better. I’ll experiment some more, and you should, too!

This one was awesome! For the cake, I added Lemon Emulsion to the batter. For the frosting, I really wanted to make some lemon curd to mix in. I LOVE lemon curd, and I really enjoy making it, but when I went to the store to buy lemons, they were almost a dollar a piece! I knew I would need 5 or 6 of them, so I decided not to. Then when I was in the peanut butter and jelly aisle, I spotted this:

Um… Yum! It tastes exactly like homemade! And much cheaper if lemons are almost a buck a piece. So I stirred some of this deliciousness into the frosting and added just the tiniest drop of lemon yellow food coloring. It was so good!  Before I frosted the cupcakes, I used a bismark tip to fill them with a bit of raspberry jam, then frosted with the lemon frosting. So good!

For Orange/Orange, I flavored the cake batter with Orange Emulsion and the zest of an orange.  For the frosting, I added LorAnn Orange Oil and a little bit of orange zest. I also added a teensy drop of orange food coloring.

This one is as easy as it gets. The cake is just plain chocolate cake, and for the frosting, I mixed in a spoonful of creamy peanut butter. For the topper, I cut a mini peanut butter cup in half and plopped it on there. For being so simple, this was completely delicious.

To frost all of these, I used a pastry bag and a #12 tip. I think any tip from 10-12 would work great, but if you add chunks (like the pineapple or cherries), you’ll probably want the 12. These are mini cupcakes. If I were making standard-size cupcakes, I would use a much larger tip.

Whew! That was a long one! I assure you that most of my posts won’t be this long.

Have fun and experiment!

30 Responses to “Cupcake Frosting”

1. Paulittta January 11, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Hi Karen!!

I’m Paula, from Castellón, Spain. I love your online shop, I buy always there!! You are so kind and your tutorials are fantastic!!

Since I met you in Bea’s blog, I have done some cookies. I have a blog too, since october, but it is very small. I always recommend your shop to my readers, so if you want, I can put a link to your shop. I’m sorry but my English is not so good :-(

Thanks for your tutorials

kisses

Paulittta

• Karen January 12, 2011 at 9:36 am #

Hi Paula! Your English is great! Much better than my Spanish! I enjoyed looking at your blog. I love the colorful snowflakes! You are more than welcome to link to our shop. We would love that! Thank you for your comments!

• Paulittta January 17, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Hi Karen! I’ve just done it! Your shop is already in my blog. My friends can see now where I buy all the things that I need for cooking cookies.

kisses

Paulittta

2. Carrie Kyroauc January 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

Cupcakes are about as addicting as cookies to make and decorate. I have fun one friday a month baking different flavored cupcakes. I can’t wait to try out this recipe for topping/frosting. I also look forward to seeing what else you blog about. You are such an inspiration to so many! Thanks for all that you do!!
    -Carrie

• Karen January 12, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Thanks, Carrie! Hope you like the frosting!

3. Glory January 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Wonderful post! All those cupcake and frosting flavors sound wonderful!
    Thanks for including me on your blog roll as well!

• Karen January 12, 2011 at 8:50 am #

Thanks, Glory! I love your blog! You make such cute things. Always an inspiration!

4. Katie January 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

i just love you. and want to be just like you.

• Karen January 12, 2011 at 8:50 am #

Katie, you are funny! Trust me, you don’t want to be just like me. Your house would be a mess and your kids would look like orphans. And I know that isn’t the case at your house.

5. Anna January 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

I’m having a hard time deciding which one to try… The cherry almond sounds good…but the chocolate-peanut butter is calling my name! I want to eat one now. =)

• Karen January 12, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Try them both! :D That’s my answer to everything. They’re both really good!

6. Georganne January 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

I LOVE the blog! Its so open and cheerful and it makes me want to make everything on it!

7. Emily January 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Oh no! I’ve been trying to get over cupcakes. These look/sound amazing! Thanks for sharing all the pictures in the process of making the frosting.

8. Rachel January 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

Sam says he wants the peanut butter cup one. Well, I suppose I’ll have to make him one. Oh, really? I don’t have to make it up myself? Well, thanks, Karen! :D

• Karen January 12, 2011 at 8:45 am #

… and the peanut butter cup one is the easiest!

9. Rachel January 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

I hope you know that I mean I don’t have to make up THE RECIPE myself. Not the cupcake itself. Oh, sheesh.

• Karen January 12, 2011 at 8:44 am #

You’re funny, Rachel! No, you don’t have to make up the recipe yourself. And I we lived closer, I’d surely give you all the frosting and cupcakes you could ever want, so you wouldn’t have to MAKE them either!

10. Sarah @ SwizzleBerry January 13, 2011 at 6:22 am #

I’m new to your blog and had to say hi because those cupcakes look delicious!

I’ve never used bottled flavourings in my cooking and I’m not really sure how to go about it. Are there directions on the bottles as to how much to use?

I am a great lemon lover and I’ve recently seen a lot of recipes calling for lemon extract. I’m having a very hard time finding that in Australia. The closest I’ve come up with is lemon essence, but that’s pretty much just like licking a lemon peel x 10. It gives the food an artificial lemon flavour, not a true lemon flavour. Are these flavourings true to the original ingredient?

Thanks so much!

11. Colleen Gura January 22, 2011 at 9:00 am #

This is so awesome! I’m ridiculously exited that you’re blogging! Super cool and wicked cupcakes!

Hugs!
    Colleen

12. Becky Mickelsen January 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

OH MY those cupcakes look so wonderful.. I plan on making some of them for Valentines day… thank you so much for explaining how to make them all… YUMMY

13. Stevies January 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Karen,
    I wonder if this frosting would work well with frosting tips? For Example piping flowers, borders, ect? It sounds wonderful but just wonder if it’t too soft for piping? thanks for any info. you can offer.

I am making a golf cake, with grass piped through the grass tip and wonder if it will stand up and work. Also piping some borders.

• Karen February 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

I really think it would work well for piping. I think the only problem you might run into is that it might get pretty soft if you have hot hands, or if your kitchen is very warm. There’s so much butter in it that it will probably get melty fast. But as long as you’re working in a cool environment, and can keep your hands cool, I think it would make great roses and borders, etc. I think the grass tip would work just fine, too. I’ll try some piping next time I make it, but I have a hunch it would work well.

14. Lara Burky February 3, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Karen,

Great photos! Keep it up! My mom has had a food blog for a couple of years now (oneperfectbite.blogspot.com) and I know how much work it is. It must be hard with a business too?

Two questions: what is a bismark tip? I can’t figure that out – I want to fill cupcakes with lemon curd! And – what size tip would you recommend for piping the icing onto full size cupcakes?

I’m making iced football and helmet cookies for the superbowl on Sunday, tomorrow. My 10-year is helping me. We sit and watch your videos together……..wish us luck.

Tks.,
    Lara

15. Sher February 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

I usually make my own lemon curd as well and share the same frustrations as you with the cost of lemons. I saw that curd in my store as well and since you gave it a terrific tasting test (I know you have great taste because everything I learned from you is fantastic!) I will go out a purchase that lemon curd myself. Thanks!

16. Cat March 10, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

If you’re worried about eggs being cooked, try a Swiss meringue buttercream. It’s smooth and creamy.

17. Sheila June 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

Would this frosting would freeze well?

18. Lindsey May 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

I LOVE this frosting recipe. The chocolate is actually my favorite, but I do use melted chocolate or white chocolate, not cocoa powder. All of these flavor combinations look delicious!

19. Linda Howe February 13, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

This is the best recipe for frosting I’ve ever made, my daughter thinks so to. My cupcakes look great. thankyou so much.

20. australia florist February 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

Amazing! Its genuinely remarkable paragraph,
    I have got much clear idea regarding from this article.

21. Luz April 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Can you please give me specific measurements