Winter Cookies

12 Jan

Back to cookies!! It’s cold here in Idaho, and I’ve heard that it’s snowing in weird places. My cousins in the south are getting snow, which is really unusual for them. Brrrr…. It’s winter for sure.

I have a recent obsession with disco dust. I particularly love the white. I wish it showed up in photos better.

(And sorry for the pink tint to my pictures. At least there’s plenty of room for improvement!)

I hadn’t used royal icing in a loooooong time. Probably 10 years or more, but I was in a hurry to get these cookies done for an event we were doing, and I had a package of the CK Products Royal Icing Mix that I’d been wanting to try. It’s nice because it’s a “just add water” mix. I decided to give it a whirl. I really liked it! It was fun to work with, and super easy and fast, which is always a bonus. The only thing I don’t like about Royal Icing is the matte finish. I loved how the disco dust fixed that problem right up!

Along with the disco dust obsession (and the cupcakes…), I’ve also had a recent “square cookie” obsession. (Am I easily obsessed? Why yes, I am.) Anyway, I love doing sets of squares with monograms on them to make a word. Add in some sanding sugar and/or non pareils, and I think it adds such fun textures. Here’s a close-up:

That O cookie is supposed to be tilted so the top-right corner is pointing straight up. If you could kindly use your imagination and picture it that way, I’d appreciate it!

And some close-ups of the snow gear.  My gray and light blue (and regular blue, and white…) icings were a little too runny, so it lost some definition. Which isn’t a problem with the royal icing mix, by the way. I just added a little too much extra water. And I could have fixed it up with some extra powdered sugar.  But I was in a hurry! :D

I love the Nu Silver luster dust on the ice skate. It adds such a fun effect.

Stay warm out there!!

10 Responses to “Winter Cookies”

1. Natalie Byrd January 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

Ok i’m hooked I gotta get some of that disco dust and silver stuff … love these cookies!

• Jo January 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

You think it’s weird to snow in some places down south? How about Southern California!!! Yep! Last time was the 80’s. Love love love your cookies…….

2. Anna January 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

I love the texture of the icing on the sweater and the cap! How did you do that? I love the luster dust on the skates too!

3. Carrie in Bartlesville January 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

Karen I just love your winter cookies! I haven’t seen the disco dust before or used the luster dust but I have seen it. Very cute projects! I love your flair for writing your blog. You add so much of your personalty in the comments that you really can feel your sense of humor and passion for things. Not just idol dribble. You make it interesting to read! I can’t wait to place an order for some of the new products you have. I am making some of the melted snowman cookies tomorrow with Christie and baking cupcakes on Friday. I really need to start my own cookie/cupcake blog! So does Christie!

4. Kristin Frank January 13, 2011 at 4:23 am #

I will now be adding your blog to the list of blogs I check all the time and read obessively. I just placed my first order from your website and I wanted to tell you that I really appreciate your hints, advice, and openness. I have read several blogs where “secrets” are closely guarded and any questions or pleas for help and advice are met with scorn and anger. I’m just starting out decorating and love getting help. Thank you. Your cookies are beautiful.

5. Kelly January 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

I love your new blog!

6. Georganne January 14, 2011 at 2:41 am #

Oh, I LOVE the “s-n-o-w” cookies. And the knitted sweater. All of these cookies have great texture. Love it.

7. Georganne January 14, 2011 at 2:47 am #

You know what else I love? I love that every commenter gets their own little pattern. I feel like I belong. :)

8. Pennies on a Platter January 22, 2011 at 10:26 am #

I love the idea of square cookies with monograms. Cute! And, the sweater…oh.my.gosh. Super cute!!

9. Rhonda January 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Please share how you did the texture on the sweater and hat…Adorable!!! Thank you for all the tips you share!