Hearts and Flowers on Chocolate

25 Jan

I had fun playing around with some Valentine’s Day cookies. This was an experimental batch of chocolate cookie dough. All I did was substitute 1/2 cup of cocoa for 1/2 cup of the flour in my regular Rolled Sugar Cookie Dough, which is what Pam does with her recipe.  I thought it turned out great. The only thing I’m not sure about is whether they are as sturdy. I had a few of them break on me while I was decorating, which is pretty unusual. I guess it makes sense that they would loose a little bit of stability by substituting cocoa powder for the flour, because you’re loosing a little bit of the gluten, which is kind of like the glue (glue-ten!) that holds things together, but I didn’t think it would make that much of a difference. They weren’t super brittle or anything, and maybe I was just extra butter-fingery (what?? My spell-checker says that’s not a word!) the day I did these. I wouldn’t put it past me.  But anyway, I think it was a fun change, and I LOVED the contrast of the red, pink and white against the dark cookies.

These daisies are super-simple. I just outlined in black, filled in white and added a colored “button” for the center. The buttons caved in a little bit, which sometimes happens when you’re using thinned-down MPB. I didn’t mind it at all on these, though. I think it adds to the look. Also, you’ll notice that my petals are uneven in both size and spacing, but I think it adds to the charm! Don’t worry about getting them too perfect.

Some cute little hearts using marbling and feathering techniques. If you didn’t catch our Valentine Hearts post, go check that out for more instruction.

More hearts in a more stylized shape.

Hugs and Kisses! I had a red one too, but it broke so I had to eat it. I really love this cutter.

I told you earlier that I have a square cookie obsession, so when I was baking up this batch of cookies, I did some squares without really knowing what I was going to do with them. I thought maybe I’d spell out L-O-V-E, like I did with the S-N-O-W in my winter post. When I got to decorating, I realized that the small crinkle squares looked kind of like stamps, and Valentine’s Day is all about love letters, so I tried some stamps. The two with the “cancellation” lines on them were done with just a writing tip and black MPB, but I’ll show you in tomorrow’s post what I did later that I liked much better.

Fun mix! I’m still kind of a sugar cookie purist, but this opened my eyes to the possibilities of chocolate!

26 Responses to “Hearts and Flowers on Chocolate”

1. Sheila January 25, 2011 at 10:14 am #

I do the same thing for my chocolate dough – substitute some cocoa powder for some flour. I love the results.
    Cute “X O”‘s!

2. Emily January 25, 2011 at 10:36 am #

I love the square cookies! I’m intrigued by the chocolate. . . . yum.

3. Rachel January 25, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Wow, I LOVE the effect that chocolate cookies give to the pretty frosting decorations! I am totally trying this out! When my oven decides to work once again…

• Karen January 26, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Aw, Rachel! You need to get your oven fixed! Or maybe mine needs to break so I don’t eat so many cookies! :D

4. Carmie January 25, 2011 at 11:11 am #

So pretty…
    Karen, how do you avoid the black icing bleed into other color?

• Karen January 26, 2011 at 8:41 am #

Hi Carmie. I really don’t have a lot of trouble with the black bleeding. I usually let my outline dry for a bit before I fill in with another color. I also try to color my black and red frosting as far ahead of time as I can. They will darken over time, so I can use less coloring and then just let them darken as they sit. That really helps with bleeding. I’ve had lots less problems with Americolor bleeding than any of the others I’ve tried, so if you haven’t tried them, I recommend it!

• Carmie January 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Thanks for the advice, Karen.
        I’ll definitely order some Americolor with my next order!

5. Tamara January 25, 2011 at 11:12 am #

I use the chocolate cookie recipe from Peterson & Fryer’s book Cookie Craft, and I have never had a cookie break. They taste great too.

• Karen January 26, 2011 at 8:41 am #

I will definitely try that. Thanks Tamara!

6. Anne January 25, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Wonderful, as usual!

7. Tara January 25, 2011 at 11:47 am #

I just made some chocolate cut outs. And they’re much softer than my regular cookies. Do you find that the icing takes considerably longer to dry on them (softer cookies)?

• Karen January 26, 2011 at 8:43 am #

I didn’t notice a difference on these, but they were pretty crunchy. I think if you had a very soft cookie, you would need to let them dry a little longer. The moisture in the cookies might affect the dry time on the icing.

8. Rose Lee January 25, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

WOW, I think I am going to have to try this. Makes a good vareity (sp).

9. Anna ♥ Sugarized January 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

I love the stamp cookies! =) Very original!

10. Anne S. January 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

I just did some chocolate heart cookies yesterday! Love the way you decortated them!!!

11. Kenni January 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

I love these cookies and you just inspired me to decorate the cookies I made the other day. They seem simple enough since I am a bit of a beginner. Thank you for this! C=

12. Adelaide January 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

Mais uma vez fiquei encantada com a decoração dos cookies.Estão um espanto e muito originais. Deixou-me a vontade de quer fazê-los, vamos lá ver como irão ficar. Se saírem bem envio-te a imagem, está bem? Cá em casa gostam de tudo o que seja doce, Parabéns.

13. Akhila January 25, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

I never thought to try the chocolate. I think that is what i will try next. See how that works out for me. yours looks absolutely gorgeous as always,, keep them coming Karen:)

14. Georganne January 25, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

I LOVE chocolate cookies. I almost never make regular sugar cookies anymore. Mostly because I LOVE THE CONTRAST. Your cookies are beautiful! I love, love that shade of pink. It is perfect with the chocolate!!

15. Haniela January 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

WONDERFUL!

16. Karen January 26, 2011 at 8:50 am #

Thank you so much everybody! I really appreciate the comments and thoughts!

17. Michelle January 26, 2011 at 9:44 am #

How did you get that shade of pink?

• Karen January 26, 2011 at 9:54 am #

It’s my current favorite color– Americolor fuchsia. It makes such a pretty raspberry-sherbet color. To get the lighter shade, I just added more frosting and a drop or two of Bright White coloring.

18. Sher January 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Absolutely beautiful and it is always so much fun to see what you are doing. Thanks for sharing all the time!!!!

19. Haniela January 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

These look wonderful! I love the stylized shape cutter.

20. The BearFoot Baker February 2, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

You are killing me with cuteness here!!! I love the colors and the flowers! Great set of cookies:)