Kelly’s Birthday

10 Mar

This cake requires some explanation and a little Kelly History lesson. :D When Kelly was about 18 months old, she discovered “White Baby”. There were actually two babies– White Baby and Blue Baby– which were leftover jumbo beanie babies from the late 90s. She played with both, but White Baby became her favorite, and she couldn’t live without her.

This is Kelly and White baby in 2003:

Awww, look how cute they were back then! Through the years, White baby has gone through the washing machine more times than I can count, until a few years ago when I decided that one more trip might do her in. Several years ago, Mike and I were talking about how sad it will be when White Baby goes the way of all the earth. He decided to immortalize her in a photo montage and presented it to Kelly for Christmas. Here is Kelly today with White Baby and the photo montage that her Daddy so lovingly prepared for her. (It usually hangs on her bedroom wall– and it’s really dusty!!)

Isn’t that the cutest? I thought that was so sweet of Mike. Poor White Baby is looking pretty rough these days. She has a bad case of the mange.

When Kelly told me that she wanted a “Stuffed Animal” themed cake this year, I thought it might be fun to do a White Baby cake for her.

I’m not very experienced at fondant modeling, but I decided to give it a try. I did three figures, each one imitating the pictures in her photo montage.

Some close ups:

Probably a little too close-up, since you can see all of my mistakes! Oh well.

I have a favorite cake decorating buttercream that I’ve used for years, but I decided to try my newly discovered cupcake icing and see how it would do for cake decorating– borders, flowers, etc. It worked awesome! I did a border with tip 101 roses, and it worked beautifully for those.

Kelly wanted lemon filling, so I flavored the frosting with 2 tsp. of lemon emulsion to go along with it, and it was so delicious! I will definitely be using that again and again.

Mike commented yesterday about how presentation is everything. We were just doing a small party with our family and some cousins, so I didn’t want a huge cake, but I wanted it to look special.  This whole thing was only one cake mix. I did two 6-inch layers for the top cake, and used the rest of the batter to make mini cupcakes. That’s all pretty small stuff, but presented on a tiered cake stand, it looked a lot bigger and more exciting than it really was!

Happy birthday to my Kelly!

49 Responses to “Kelly’s Birthday”

1. Baked Perfection March 10, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Love the cake!!! I use fondant on a few of our cookie designs but I too want to try my hand at a few fondant cakes. I just love the clean look of it (even with the tiny imperfections). We are always hardest on ourselves!!

2. Seana Nightingale March 10, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Absolutely precious! You did a fabulous job IMO. I love how the fondant bears turned out; they look just like the original! And Kelly is such a beautiful little girl! She must have been thrilled with her cake!

3. Patsy March 10, 2011 at 9:57 am #

What a great cake and idea! I love the blue flowers around the bottom. I do my roses up ahead of time…weeks ahead … and then it is really easy to place them. If you want my recipe let me know. It’s one I got 40 years ago while learning to cake decorate.

4. Rachel March 10, 2011 at 10:00 am #

Karen, you are AMAZING. Incredibly creative and talented. I love this! I am so impressed with the simplicity. I can see how Kelly would think this is the best cake ever!

5. Colleen Gura March 10, 2011 at 10:03 am #

Wow, Karen! Tell Kelly that I still have my Charlie – a grey pound puppy I bought at a garage sale for $.50 when I was six! He’s still with me today – I know how important White Baby is to her if she’s anything like my Charlie. I love the cake and I love the roses. Would you be willing to do a tutorial on the roses? I’ve tried everything and CANNOT DO IT!!! Thanks so much! Much love and Happy Birthday Kelly!!!

6. Sheila, Mom to Six March 10, 2011 at 10:06 am #

Just darling! The cake, White Baby, and especially the girl! :)

7. Siobhan March 10, 2011 at 10:16 am #

That is the sweetest cake and I love the photos of White Baby too. The present day White Baby looks very well loved and I hope that Kelly continues to love her the way I have loved my first doll, well into adulthood. Sometimes you just need that old friend.

8. Kaye March 10, 2011 at 10:25 am #

All I can say is YOU ROCK! Kelly is precious and so is White Baby. There’s lots of love in your house….what a wonderful gift for each of you. Love your blog, your site and most especially your inspiration.

9. Michelle Smith March 10, 2011 at 10:26 am #

What a wonderful post! I loved it all, from the baby pics with her favorite stuffed animal, to the lovely roses. That was a really great idea to take pics of the bear! And they turned out really well, too. What a nice keepsake for your daughter. Thank you for sharing.

10. aundreah brant March 10, 2011 at 10:31 am #

Just beautiful!!!1

11. Emily March 10, 2011 at 10:32 am #

So sweet! Love the story behind the cake. :) You’ll have to print these pictures out too and hang them up near the original White Baby frame. :) Happy birthday Kelly!!

12. Sharon March 10, 2011 at 11:06 am #

What a beautiful cake! I absolutely love the idea! She must have been excited with the result!!

13. Natalia March 10, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Adorable!!!

14. Cristin (Pinkie) March 10, 2011 at 11:48 am #

Adorable! It would have been cute too if the bears on the cake looked as loved as the real one ;-) Happy Birthday to your little one!

15. norma March 10, 2011 at 11:54 am #

I love your cake and your daughter. That is such a cute story. A friend gave me atatted collar in the 80’s. It was hughe and beautifully done. The srapping had a small stuffed cat secured in the bow. She had told my daughter when she left the package it was a really expensive gift. I called and thanked her and she told me it was worth $1000. I was impressed, then she told me the stuffed cat I had given to my grandson (after I carefully took all the tags off) was the gift, and that was the valuable item. He still has that cat!

16. Christie Block March 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

What a beautiful and thoughtful cake! It’s no wonder she loved it!

17. Rose Lee March 10, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Very nice, I am sure she loved it!!!!

18. Kenni March 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

This cake is too cute! Those bears are adorable!

19. Barbara March 10, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

Adorably!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Margaret Cotrim March 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Happy Birthday to Kelly and you are good with fondant too! The cake is very very cute.

21. cat March 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Wow! I never suspected the bears were fondant when I first saw them! Nice job! What great parents Kelly is blessed to be loved by. Hope that cupcake frosting recipe is on the website.

22. Ana March 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

Karen, what an awesome cake! I know Kelly loved it.

Is the icing you used a crusting icing?

• Diana Viera March 10, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

This cake is too cute!!! You did an awesome job with this cake:D Love it!!!

23. Guadalupe March 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Happy Birthday to Kelly. The cake is adorable!

24. Carrie in Bartlesville March 10, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

First off HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLY! Second, Kelly is a beautiful little girl. I just love her smile and third, awesome job on the cake Karen! You out did yourself again. Flaws and all (which I couldn’t see any)you did and amazing job. I have never tried any of the emolusion flavors and have wanted to. I almost bought some of the “Princess”. I think you need to blog about flavors next and how to use them and what mixes well with what. I need to know!

25. Georganne March 10, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

SO precious! You did a fantastic job on the fondant figures!!! (And the photo montage your husband did is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!)

26. Jana March 10, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

It all looks great. I’ve never thought of using roses as a border like that and I can’t wait to try it. I love the photo montage too. What great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

27. Lindy March 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

So cute, Karen – I love it! I can’t believe Kelly is getting so big!

28. Tiffany March 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

Love it!!

29. yael March 10, 2011 at 11:23 pm #

Just fantastic Karen!

30. Grozzie11 ( Leanne) March 11, 2011 at 1:34 am #

absolutely fabulous. Thanks for sharing, what a special story about a gorgeously special young lady. thanks

31. Lola Cueto March 11, 2011 at 4:27 am #

Your modeling is great, although you say you have no experience. I can not see any mistakes. Great and precious, like everything you do. I love it!! and everything looks delicious!!
    Lola

32. Elena March 11, 2011 at 10:02 am #

Really nice! Happy Birthday for your daughter…

33. Haniela March 11, 2011 at 11:45 am #

This post is so precious, I love it. I love the framed pictures.
    Everything looks perfect
    happy birthday to your daughter

34. Terri March 12, 2011 at 6:10 am #

For someone who is not very “experienced” with modeling fondant, I would say you nailed it. This cake is adorable, as well as your daughter…can’t believe how much she looks like you! Happy Birthday, Kelly!

35. Phyllis B. March 12, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Fantastic! What a special presentation!

36. Christine Sarver March 14, 2011 at 10:56 am #

That is just adorable, especially with the story behind it! I bet your daughter was thrilled!
    I like that it was made with just one cake mix. It seems everything I do is just too big–nice to know that scaled down treats can be just as beautiful.
    I just love your site!

37. Donna B. March 20, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Your roses are awesome! And the fondant bears…adorable. Now, Kelly is a beautiful little girl! You are blessed!

38. Stephanie March 29, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

I just wanted to stop by and say that I tried your meringue powder buttercream recipe and it is, hands down, my favorite cookie frosting EVER! It’s super delicious and easy to make. Thank you for introducing me to it!

39. Lauri April 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

What a sweet and beautiful cake!

40. nicki April 5, 2011 at 4:54 am #

What a beautiful cake!

Today I would like to share with you the Stylish Blogger Award, that I received with you!

have a great day!

41. Corinne Knell April 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

Soooo sweet! Might need to steal the pic idea for my daughter. Although her favorite animal keeps changing. Currently it’s Nala from Lion King.

42. paddle attachment April 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Such a sweet story and cake to match it! I love every inch of this birthday celebration!

43. IRISBEL GONZALEZ April 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

beautiful story =) impressive cake =) happy belated bday to kelly, xoxo

44. Cat May 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

I wonder if we figure out a way to make this icing chocolate? Do you know?

45. Anna June 23, 2011 at 8:06 am #

I know I’m a little late on the comments, since the post was in March, but I just found your blog! I love this cake! I love the photo montage also! My granddaughter has a favorite little friend, Lambie, that’s been with her since she was and infant. He was lost once, but thankfully ebay turned lost into “Lambie was on vacation” when he was left at the airport when she was 3. My granddaughter will be with me, this year, on her birthday. I do believe I’ve found my inspiration. Thank you!

46. Esther July 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

What a creative and brilliantly executed idea! I would never have known you were a fondant-modeling novice. Those bears look fantastic!

By the way, I love the way your cupcakes came out too. What # star tip did you use?

47. Cat November 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

I just happened upon your blog tonight. I love the story behind this adorable cake and cupcakes <3
    I'm sure your daughter was a happy girl on her birthday. Your cake skills are great and did not look like those of a novice!
    Thanks for sharing!

48. Leopard Print Ugg Boots November 29, 2012 at 5:55 am #

Would you tell me your phone number?My parents want me to go abroad.You set me up!It’s rude to stare at other people.All that glitters is not gold.You really have an ear for pop music.You really have an ear for pop music.Any messages for me? Hold on.I won’t be able to see him today.